Reading List

Here are the books I picked up in the last few weeks. "Picked up" means I already own them, and I found need (or desire) to reference them. I haven't bought anything new for the last few months. For those of you uninterested in religion, I'll list the secular stuff first:

Applied Cryptography - Bruce Schneier. (I would recommend "Secrets and Lies" to every IT person on the face of the Earth. It's that important). This book is actually a good read, despite the dry subject matter.

How The Mind Works - Steven Pinker. Self-descriptive title. I read this beginning-to-end years ago, and found need to reference it again. I need to give it a full read again so I can remember exactly why I found it so interesting! In the mean time, I needed to verify some ideas I had in a discussion with my teenage daughter.

Surfing Through Hyperspace - Clifford Pickover. This book does an awesome job of explaining multiple dimensions in laymans terms. Unfortunately, though this is a secular read, I did it for religious purposes...

It's Not Funny If I Have To Explain It (A Dilbert Book) - Scott Adams. Really. There are so few great comic artists in the world, and they create things like Dilbert, Bloom County, Fox Trot, Order of the Stick (a Web comic) and some others. These are people who consistently put in double- and triple-punchlines in their strips.

No Two Sexes Are Alike (A B.C. book) - Johnny Hart. If an eel lunges out, and it bites off your snout, that's a moraaaaaay!

Religious Stuff:
Handbook of Christian Theology - Donald Musser and Joseph Price. I received this as a gift from a United Methodist minister, and it has proven an invaluable tool in my collection.

Systematic Theology - Wayne Grudem. This is a book about how to apply systematic theology (the process of evaluating scripture to support a particular premise) which is about the first 5% of the book, and then the rest are examples. Another good example of "dry reading" that I nonetheless continue to find fascinating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Capsaicin Intolerance

STFU - A Guide For People Who Talk Too Much

Capsaicin Headaches - A Cure?