Oh, The Irony Of It All!

First, we hear that Tom Cruise is actively pursuing the Beckhams (specifically, Victoria Beckham) to join his profitable little Scientology cult. This spiritual change on Victoria's part was the subject of rumors as to why the Beckhams were looking at moving to L.A.

Now, it appears that David chose to bring his family to LA to get the best care available for his son, Romeo, who has epilepsy.

If this new revelation is true, I applaud David and Victoria for their move. Furthermore, this is the kind of exposure that helps raise awareness (and money) for these kinds of medical conditions.

Buuuut, I am concerned about Cruise's attempts to drag the Beckhams into Scientology. With any luck, the Beckhams are South Park fans and have an idea as to how wacky the cult is. Maybe it would help Victoria if she were to read this. Or this.

I understand that David and Tom are close friends, but if my "close friend" tells me to forego medicine for my epileptic kid (because he's just got some bad "engrams") I'm going to look elsewhere for advice...

Oh, and for clarity, my definition of a cult? A religion where they don't tell you what you need to know "up front". In this way, at least, Scientology may join the ranks of the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormonism.

The difference? JW's and Mormons are still likely to have acknowledged Jesus as their Lord and Savior which, cult or no, puts them in good standing in my worldview.

(It will be worthy of another post as to why many of the JWs and Mormons are "covered" in the Christian worldview, despite their decidedly heretical teachings.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Capsaicin Intolerance

STFU - A Guide For People Who Talk Too Much

Capsaicin Headaches - A Cure?